Hello Summer, Hello Erie PA!
Presque Isle Beach 6
#HelloErie Instagram Contest
Throughout the summer, tag your Instagram photos with #HelloErie and have the chance to win weekly prizes of cool VisitErie swag! Share your favorite Erie adventures with us and you could be a winner! Click here to enter visiterie.com/contest
Erie Ranks in Top 10 Day Trips
A recent story from Thrillist.com lists Erie as one of the Top 10 Best Day Trips from Pittsburgh. Boasting our beautiful beaches and affordable family fun, Erie is only 120 miles from the ‘Burgh. A perfect weekend getaway!
Take a Presque Isle Adventure!
A kayaker in the Presque Isle lagoons
Take a Water Taxi from Downtown Erie across Presque Isle Bay to Presque Isle State Park and enjoy the numerous outdoor activities including kayak or canoe rentals, surrey and bicycle rides, Segway tours, the Lady Kate narrated boat cruises and Lagoons by Pontoon boat rides.
Order your FREE Erie Adventure Guide!
Start planning your Erie getaway today with the 2015 Erie Adventure Guide! Full of great suggestions, deals, what’s new, major festivals and events and maps. Phone our office 800-524-3743 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your FREE copy. You can also view the guide online here.
Presque Isle Lighthouse Tours
Presque Isle Lighthouse
New this summer! Tour the historic Presque Isle Lighthouse at Presque Isle State Park. Open for tours on Saturdays and Sundays 10 AM-4 PM through September 7. Sign up at the Lighthouse on the day of the tour to reserve a time. $5/pp benefits fund to restore the lighthouse.
Lake Erie Ale Trail!
Four local breweries have combined their resources to create the Lake Erie Ale Trail – a literal map for those curious about visiting Erie breweries and exploring their award-winning brews. For information and special events, please visit lakeeriealetrail.com. Keep checking back to the website for the latest and newest breweries added to the trail including Arundel Cellars & Brewing, Five & 20 Spirits & Brewing and more! View their brochure.
The four participating breweries are:
- Erie Ale Works (www.eriealeworks.com) – 416 W. 12th Street Erie 16501
- Erie Brewing Company (www.eriebrewingco.com) – 1213 Veshecco Drive Erie 16501
- Lavery Brewing Company (www.laverybrewing.com) – 128 W. 12th Street Erie 16501
- The Brewerie at Union Station (www.brewerie.com) – 123 W. 14th Street Erie 16501
Let’s Move Outside!
Erie County Recreational Passport Launches. The 2015 Erie County recreational passport is now available. Part of First Lady Michelle Obama’s national Let’s Move campaign to fight obesity, this program features 15 recreational trails located throughout the County. 15 public art pieces serve as trail markers. To be eligible for prizes and to learn more about Let’s Move Outside! And pick up your passport, visit: letsmoveoutside.org.
New Summer Updates & Discounts
Download the HelloErie App! Get the inside scoop on special offers, great events and local attractions, hotels and businesses at the swipe of a finger! GPS capabilities map out must-see, must-stop places and don’t miss attractions. The Hello Erie app also features Eat, Stay, Play and Events listings, social media connectivity and a one touch “call” button to make the most out of your stay. It’s your complete Erie PA tour guide rolled into one. Type “Hello Erie” into your smartphone device and plan your Erie adventure!
Hiking/Biking/Water Trails Guide
Perfect for outdoor recreational enthusiasts, the Pennsylvania Great Lakes Region Hiking/Biking/Water Trails guide features four-counties; Crawford, Erie, Mercer and Venango. Highlights include:
- Four-county Pennsylvania Great Lakes Region map identifying official bike and water trails
- Three official Water Ways in the region: Upper Shenango River Water Trail, Allegheny River Water Trail and French Creek Water Trail
- Access points for official waterways
- Boat and kayak rentals, water-related information sources
- Descriptions of major trails and hiking/biking-related events
- Bicycle-oriented and related web sites
- Listings of Bike Retail and Repair Shops
- Information on regional tournaments and events.
- Request your copy now.
Stay n Play Golf Brochure
Get your copy of our latest golf brochure! The updated golfing guide includes general course information for Whispering Woods Golf Club, Peek ‘n Peak Resort, Crab Apple Ridge Golf Course and Erie Golf Club, plus overnight packages at Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard by Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn, Days Inn, Econo Lodge, Wingate by Wyndham and the Quality Inn & Suites. Browse it here or contact us email@example.com or 800-524-ERIE (3743) for your free copy. You can also find copies at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center.
VisitErie Member News
Welcome new members: NWPA Pride Alliance, American Legion LeBaron Post 237, Sprague Farm & Brew Works, VisitPA Casinos, Arundel Cellars & Brewing Company, Voodoo Brewery, Timbercreek Tap & Table.
The Erie Art Museum is one of more than 2,000 museums across America to offer free admission to military personnel and their families this summer as part of the “Blue Star Museums” initiative. This is in partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families and the Depart of Defense. For museum info, click here.
Congratulations to the expERIEnce Children’s Museum on the recent opening of their outdoor classroom exhibit “Discovery Corner”! Located directly next to the Children’s Museum on the corner of 5th and French Streets, the new exhibit features 10 interactive elements including discovery paths, nature art, open play space, climbing /crawling area and a quiet reading nook.
Erie Gets Sports!
As a division of VisitErie, the Erie Sports Commission (ESC) is committed to promoting the Erie region as a prime destination for sports and recreation. The major goals of the ESC are to attract, create, support, and host sporting and recreational events that have a positive economic impact on the region, and assist in maximizing the potential of all regional sports facilities and venues.
The Erie Sports Commission was among those honored as the best in the sports tourism industry at the 2015 National Association of Sports Commissions’ Annual Symposium. The ESC was named a top-three finalist for the prestigious Sports Commission of the Year Award, which is awarded annually to the active NASC member that has had the most outstanding impact on its local community through sports events and beneficial impacts. The ESC was named the 2014 NASC Sports Commission of the Year. The ESC was nominated for the 2015 award in January by Erie County Executive Kathy Dahlkemper. Read the full story on www.eriesportscommission.com.
Upcoming Sporting Events
- PA B.A.S.S. Nation will hold a State Qualifier event in Erie on June 27-28. This, the second of three state-qualifier bass tournaments, will launch from Perry Monument and compete in Presque Isle Bay and Lake Erie. More than 125 anglers are expected to participate in the tournament.
- Soccer in the Sand Nationwide Series is set to return to Erie for the second time on August 1. The event is open to soccer teams of 5 to 11 players, and will be held on Presque Isle State Park’s Beach 11. The Erie Admirals Soccer Club will co-host the event.
- Girl Scouts of Western Pennsylvania will host the Lake Erie Duathlon as it returns from a two-year hiatus on August 2 at Presque Isle State Park Beach 11. Individuals or teams are invited to sign up to run a 5K, followed by a 20K bike ride, and then another 5K run.
- After “The Happiest 5K on the Planet” made its colorful debut in Perry Square in 2014, The Color Run will be back in Erie with its “Shine Tour 2015” on August 8. The Tour will bring a fresh spin to the event with its all-new Sparkle Zone™ along the course, and even more shimmery clouds of color at the finish line.
- Erie’s most bodacious event returns to Presque Isle State Park’s Beach 11 on August 15. Life’s a Beach Triathlon starts with a 200-yard “almost anything goes” swim in Lake Erie, followed by a 5-mile bike ride, and a 2-mile run. Registration is open to those 9 years old and older.
Visit the Erie Sports Commission online (www.eriesportscommission.com) or phone 814-454-1000 ext. 149 to inquire about their sporting events services.
Welcome to Town!
VisitErie is proud to welcome the following conventions/conferences this summer: Pennsylvania District Kiwanis Intl. Circle K Convention (August)
For information on meetings and conventions contact Joe Holody, Director of Convention Marketing, Sales and Services at 814-454-1000 ext. 126 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a complete listing of Erie summer events, view our full events calendar.
- June 10-July 15, 2015
UPMC SUNSET MUSIC SERIES AT PRESQUE ISLE, Presque Isle State Park, Beach 1.
- July 7, 14, 21, 28, August 4, 11, 18, 25, 2015
8 GREAT TUESDAYS, Liberty Park/Burger King Amphitheater
- July 10-12, 2015
PANEGYRI GREEK FESTIVAL, Assumption Greek Orthodox Church
- July 13-19, 2015
HARLEY DAVIDSON OF ERIE BIKEFEST, Harley Davidson of Erie
- July 14-18, 2015
70th ANNUAL NORTH EAST FIREMAN’S CHERRY FESTIVAL North East, PA
- July 15-19, 2015
ROAR ON THE SHORE – Downtown Erie/Perry Square
- July 24-26, 2015
DISCOVER PRESQUE ISLE DAYS, Presque Isle State Park
- July 25, 2015
8th ANNUAL BEER ON THE BAY, Liberty Park/Burger King Amphitheater
- July 28, 2015
32nd ANNUAL LAKE ERIE FANFARE, Veterans Stadium
- July 30 – August 1, 2015
DAN RICE DAYS, Downtown Girard, PA
- August 1-2, 2015
ERIE ART MUSEUM BLUES & JAZZ FESTIVAL, Frontier Park
- August 7-9, 2015
ST. PAUL’S ANNUAL ITALIAN FESTIVAL, St. Paul’s RC Church
- August 13-16, 2015
CELEBRATE ERIE 2015! Downtown Erie
- August 21-23, 2015
ZABAWA POLISH SUMMER FESTIVAL Holy Trinity RC Church
- August 23-29, 2015
ERIE COUNTY FAIR, Erie County Fair Grounds
- September 5-6, 2015
GERMAN HERITAGE FESTIVAL, St. Nick’s Grove.
- September 12, 2015
22nd ANNUAL EDINBORO HIGHLAND GAMES & SCOTTISH FESTIVAL, Edinboro University edinboro.edu
- September 8-12, 2015
71st ANNUAL ALBION AREA FAIR, Albion Fairgrounds
- September 18-20, 2015
ERIE IRISH FESTIVAL, St. Patrick’s Church
- September 25-27, 2015
WINE FEST, Gravel Pit, Gibson and Heard Parks, North East, PA.