|WHAT’S NEW in 2016:
- Waldameer Park & Water World – New additions include a large spray area with water coming in all directions, a multilevel play structure and pool with 8 small children’s slides, an interactive area where kids can spray water, and a bucket that tips water. Opening May 2016. www.Waldameer.com
- Erie Playhouse Celebrates their 100th Season! One of the oldest and largest community theatres in the nation is celebrating their 100th season in 2016/2017! www.erieplayhouse.org
- New Trampoline and Adventure Park. Planned opening late 2016. From Erie-based hospitality company Scott Enterprises (Splash Lagoon, Peek n Peak) construction will begin on the yet-to-be-named indoor park off Upper Peach Street. Featuring a giant trampoline jumping area, a ninja obstacle course, zip lines, a multi-level laser tag arena, and an interactive game arcade. www.visitscott.com
- expERIEnce Children’s Museum – The 2nd floor will become home to a new exhibit – a kid-sized GE locomotive! The locomotive will give kids the chance to be in the driver seat of a replica GE locomotive. Phase Two of Discovery Corner, outdoor classroom, will be complete in April 2016. Look for more hands-on programming including tiny tot, preschool classes and summer camps! www.eriechildrensmuseum.org
- Hooch & Blotto’s Bowling – You can now bowl at the Hooch! Hooch & Blotto’s Sports Bar & Grill has added bowling to the menu! The new 8 lane bowling lounge features over 20 interactive games as well as different ways to customize the customer experience. Get your friends and family together for a great night of bowling and craft beer! Mini bowling is also great for kids with its shorter lanes and smaller, easier to grip bowling balls. No shoe rentals required! www.hoochandblottos.com
- FIVE & 20 SPIRITS & BREWING – With the addition of a brewery in 2015, Mazza Chautauqua Cellars and Five & 20 Spirits & Brewing of Westfield became New York state’s first combination winery, distillery, and brewery. The Five & 20 line includes a Stout, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Ale, Brown Ale, and Cream Ale. www.enjoymazza.com
- Lake Erie Ale Trail – A new destination in Erie has now grown to NINE local breweries! Erie Ale Works, Lavery Brewing Company, Erie Brewing Company, The Brewerie at Union Station, Five & 20 Spirits & Brewing, Sprague Farm & Brew Works, Millcreek Brewing Company, Arundel Cellars & Brewing Company, Timbercreek Tap & Table, Voodoo Brewing Company. www.LakeErieAleTrail.com 814-454-1000 for a free brochure.
- Millcreek Brewing Company – Erie’s newest brewery and brew pub opened its doors fall 2015. Offering 30 beers on tap including house beers and craft beers from around the world, plus all of Millcreek Brewing Company’s hand crafted beers are brewed on a 7 bbl brew system using only the finest and freshest ingredients. Not in the mood for beer? Don’t worry, MBC has fine wines and spirits too! Enjoy it all their lounge or European style beer hall. www.millcreekbrew.com
- Presque Isle Touring Company – Cruise the beaches of Presque Isle State Park in style with new Baja Cruise Fat Tire Bikes, featuring tires over 4” wide. Perfect for riding on the sandy beaches! www.presqueisletouringcompany.com
- Downtown Perry Square Renovation – $4 million renovation features a new two-sided pavilion/stage along State Street that can be used for concerts, parade viewing and other events. The 1929 Edison Electric Fountain will be refurbished with new LED lighting and a restored base. Other changes include planting of new trees, removal of the gazebo from West Perry Square, relocation of park monuments, new lighting and electrical work, new pillars and streetscape work. Spring 2016
- The Thomas B. Hagen History Center The center includes the Watson-Curtze Mansion and the existing carriage house, both of which were renovated, as well as 10,000-square-foot archive building. The carriage house, connected to the archives, houses an Erie gift shop and reading room. www.eriehistory.com
- Presque Isle Lighthouse Tours – The Presque Isle Lighthouse is open for tours 10 am to 4 pm every Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day- Labor Day. Also open Memorial Day, July 4th weekend and Labor Day. Tickets may be purchased at the Lighthouse for $5 each. Tours are conducted every 20 minutes. Tours are first-come first-served. www.presqueislelighthouse.org
- Erie Philharmonic 2016-17 season will include a full-length feature film with live orchestra
- Lakeview on the Lake to open a new Luxury Lakefront Cedar Log Home (weekly rentals only)
- SpringHIll Suites by Marriott- 1st location in Erie to feature 2 Tesla Electric Car Chargers
- Cobblestone Inn & Suites 2 new locations! Fall 2016 Erie’s Bayfront and near Penn State Behrend
- Courtyard by Marriott Bayfront Hotel will open Spring 2016 next to the Bayfront Convention Center
- IHOP opens Spring 2016 (Upper Peach Street Shopping District)
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott complete renovation in 2016 to a new “Turning Points Décor”
|Save the Date –
Tall Ships Erie Returns!
Mark your calendar to set sail for Erie PA September 8-11, 2016 when Tall Ships Erie returns to the shores of Lake Erie. Parade of Sails Thursday Sept 8, ship tours scheduled for Fri/Sat Sept 9-10. More details coming soon! www.flagshipniagara.org
|New Winter Updates & Discounts-Download the HelloErie App!
Get the inside scoop on special offers, great events and local attractions, hotels and businesses at the swipe of a finger! GPS capabilities map out must-see, must-stop places and don’t miss attractions. The Hello Erie app also features Eat, Stay, Play and Events listings, social media connectivity and a one touch “call” button to make the most out of your stay. It’s your complete Erie PA tour guide rolled into one. Type “Hello Erie” into your smartphone device get planning! [Click Here]
|Pre-Order your FREE 2016 Erie Adventure Guide!
The new 2016 Erie All Seasons Adventure Guide will be ready mid-March but you can pre-order your free copy today! Phone our offices at 800-524-3743 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your FREE copy. Our current 2015 visitors guide is still available online or through contacting VisitErie.
VisitErie Member News:
- Welcome new member: Millcreek Brewing Company
- Presque Isle Wine Cellars Opens New Location – Visit one of Erie’s long-standing wineries at their 2nd location. Stop by The Shops at the Colony Plaza (West 8th Street near Peninsula Drive) and sample some award-winning wines including Reflections of Lake Erie, Creekside Concord and Eskimo Kisses Dessert wine.
- Kimkopy Printing has now added sublimation printing to their list of services. Full color artwork and photos can now be used to personalize mugs, cell phone cases, t-shirts, flip flops and more! www.kimkopy.com for complete details.
- Congrats to Hooch & Blotto’s Sports Bar & Grill for being honored by the Bowlers Journal International Magazine as “Best Renovated Center” in the 2015 Architecture & Design Awards.
- Congrats to SpringHill Suites by Marriott for being accepted as a silver level GreenLeader into the Trip Advisor GreenLeaders program, which helps travelers around the world plan greener trips by highlighting hotels and B&B’s engaging in environmentally-friendly practices.
|Erie Gets Sports!
As a division of VisitErie, the Erie Sports Commission (ESC) is committed to promoting the Erie region as a prime destination for sports and recreation. The major goals of the ESC are to attract, create, support, and host sporting and recreational events that have a positive economic impact on the region, and assist in maximizing the potential of all regional sports facilities and venues. [View all Winter Events]
|Visit Erie Upcoming Events
- Dec 26-31 HOLIDAY WEEK AT THE WINERIES, all 25 wineries lakeeriewinecountry.org
- Dec 27-30 ASBURY WOODS WINTER WONDERLAND, Asbury Woods asburywoods.org
- Dec 31 – New Year’s Celebrations at Splash Lagoon, Ambassador Center, Bayfront Convention Center, Peek’n Peak, 1201 Kitchen, Erie Playhouse and more! VisitErie.com/calendar
- Dec-March – ERIE BAYHAWKS NBA D-LEAGUE BASKETBALL, Erie Insurance Arena bayhawks.com
- Dec – March – ERIE OTTERS OHL HOCKEY, Erie Insurance Arena ottershockey.com
- January 9 – WINTER TRAILS DAY, Presque Isle and Erie Bluffs State Parks presqueisle.org
- Jan 16 – “FROZEN” Wine Celebration of Ice & Specialty Wines, Lake Erie Wine Country lakeeriewinecountry.org
- Jan 20-26 – PRESQUE ISLE HISTORY WEEK, series of events Presque Isle and TREC trecpi.org
- Jan 31-Feb 1 – ERIE KENNEL CLUB ALL BREED DOG SHOW, Bayfront Convention Center eriekennelclub.com
- Jan- Feb – SNOWSHOE SATURDAYS, Asbury Woods asburywoods.org
- Feb 14 – WINTERFEST AT LEAF, Frontier Park leaferie.org
ESC Winter Events
- Stars and Stripes Gymnastics Invitational, January 15-18 at Bayfront Convention Center http://www.eriegymnastics.com
- Dave Chaffee Arms and Bikini Contest, January 30 at Presque Isle Downs and Casino http://www.realtrainingandfitness.com
- Pennsylvania Nordic Championship, February 7 at Wilderness Lodge http://www.paccsa.org
- Sarah Backstrom Memorial Tournament, February 12-14 at Erie Insurance Arena, Mercyhurst Ice Center, and JMC Ice Arena http://www.thesarah.net/
- PA State 8-Ball Championships, March 11-13 at Bayfront Convention Center http://www.warnercoin.com/pa-state-pool-tournament/
- Joe McCallion House Select, March 11-13 at Erie Insurance Arena, Mercyhurst Ice Center, and JMC Ice Arena http://erieyouthhockey.com
- PA Junior Wrestling Championships, April 1-2 at Erie Insurance Arena http://pjwarea8.webs.com/states-in-erie
- Lake Erie Cheer and Dance Championships, April 10 at Erie Insurance Arena www.championcheercentral.com